Three generations creating a lasting impression
Being in business as a General Contractor since 1912, through good times and tough times, is impressive. Producing a lasting legacy of fine construction that has met a myriad of needs and created a community of satisfied customers is something that Frank H. Stowell & Sons is particularly proud of.
This is not an excuse to sit back and gloat. For Sam Stowell, the third generation, this is a challenge to make sure we exceed what has been done before.
A heritage we are proud to share
21st century: Relationships
Into the 21st century, our second, we find ourselves in solid relationships with GE Healthcare, Siemens Healthineers, and Varian Medical Systems. From preparing technology-intensive medical spaces, it has been an easy transition to building-out some of the most impressive university research laboratories in the Midwest.
Regardless of the project, our commitment is to continue to improve our skills, our technology and our capabilities so that we can provide the best service possible to our clients.
1990s: Refining Our Focus
In the nineteen nineties we refined our focus, completing many high-end residential, diagnostic imaging and big box retail projects. Our largest retail projects were two 50,000 square foot jobs for S.F. Kohls, one an addition and the other a complete renovation. While the nineties were the best of times, they were also the worst of times as we suffered the loss of Frank H. Stowell, Jr. who had been the company’s president for over thirty years.
1980s: New Endeavors
The 80-year old Library for the Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary was remodeled and a new library archive was built. We also worked with Varian Medical Systems and GE Healthcare to build a state-of-the-art radiation therapy facility and magnetic resonance facility, respectively, both at the University of Illinois Medical Center.
1970s: Shaping a Skyline
In 1973-1974 we worked with the architectural firm of Hammond Beeby and Babka to add 1,800 square feet to the penthouse of the Drake Tower Apartments. Using the best materials and ingenuity, we built an addition to the Chicago skyline.
1960s: Rapid Growth
We built the new Villa Park Bank and expanded Avon Products and Allied Van Lines. We built vertical additions to Lutheran General Hospital and Central Telephone Co. in record time. An underground radiation therapy facility for Lake Forest Hospital was added.
1950s: Baby Boom
There was a great need for educational facilities. We built the Spaulding Elementary School in Glen Ellyn and Juliette B. Lowe Upper Grade Center for the Chicago Board of Education.
1940s: War Effort
During WWII Frank Stowell, Sr. worked for companies whose need to expand was driven by the production of goods for the war.
1930s: A New Home
We moved our offices into the Harris Bank Building and remained there for thirty years. And for more than sixty years, Stowell performed alteration work for the Bank.
1920s: On the Move
Stowell completed several buildings for the University of Chicago that are still among the biggest and the best in the company’s history: The Bond Chapel, Oriental Institute, Swift Hall, Social Science Building, and Bobs Roberts Hospital. All have stood the test of time.
1912: A Modest Beginning
Frank Stowell and his brother George performed various alteration projects around Chicago. They worked on many buildings that are still standing today: the Fisher Building, Dixon Building, Harris Bank Building, and the Chicago Public Library (now the Chicago Cultural Center).